Dyeing with indigo as a fascinating process used throughout the world to obtain a beautiful, rich blue. Students will leave the class with the necessary knowledge to successfully create, use, and maintain a vat at home. In class, we will focus on ways to build color and explore several resist techniques. Please see the natural dye workshop details which covers other natural dyes. Indigo is covered when a 3-5 day natural dye workshop is scheduled
- Review a brief historical and contemporary context of indigo dyeing
- Learn how to create, use, and maintain an organic indigo vat
- Gain an understanding of the entire process of dyeing with an organic vat including scouring, dyeing, neutralizing, washing, finishing, and care
- Learn multiple ways to build color to obtain a variety of values
- Explore several resist techniques including clay resist and several types of shibori.